Monday, March 15, 2010

Dinner Diva Menu Week of 3/15

My new Cooking Light magazine came today. As I eagerly turned the pages, my mouth began to water as the pictures of fabulous food fanned by. I asked the editors nicely, but there was no listing of "meals you can make one-handed" in the table of contents. Oh well, maybe next month...I'm afraid I'll still need it. As far as two handed meals go, this week's are gonna wow you!

Monday: Spinach-Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Spring Salad, Oven Fries

Simple but different than the every day. If you don't have a knife in your kitchen that you are actually afraid of because it's so sharp, get one. Then use it to pocket chicken breasts. (I love my Wusthof!)

For the oven fries, select 1 to 1 1/2 med sized baking potatoes per person. Wedge each into 8-12 wedges, then toss with about 1/3 cup vegetable oil and 2-4 t. salt (kosher if you have it) in a large ziptop bag. (Optionally add 1 t. black pepper to the bag.) Roast at 400 for 45-60 min, or beginning to brown, and soft when stuck with a fork.

Tuesday: Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Sausage and Peppers, Spring Salad, Fresh Italian Bread

Budget Tip: buy a larger tub of fresh salad and serve it twice or more in one week. Organic is better for a lot of reasons, but the lesser-known bonus is that it stays fresh longer.

Wednesday: Steak and Grilled Vegetable Panini, Sautee'd Zucchini, raw carrots

I like to leave a plate of carrots and sliced peppers out on the counter while I cook. It gives me something to munch, and keeps the munchkins at bay too. Kids won't eat raw veggies? A bowl of grapes works too.

Thursday: Sweet Orange Salmon, Steamed Edamame, Wheat Pilaf (such as Near East)

This is my favorite salmon recipe. I serve it often because it is a quickie to prepare and I never have leftovers. It's one of the ones I know I won't have to encourage the kids to eat; they'll devour it. serve with fresh orange wedges to complete the color palate of the meal. Gorgeous!

Friday: Tacos

Saturday: Pizza

Sunday: Grilled Pork tenderloin, Quick Skillet Asparagus, Buttery Red Potatoes with Parsley

I love the flavor of an unmarinated pork tenderloin on the grill. A dusting of salt and pepper, and the grill does the rest.

Quick Skillet Asparagus
4 t olive oil
1 lb med asparagus spears, trimmed
1/2 t. lemon rind
1 t. lemon juice
1/4 t. salt

Heat large skillet over med-high heat. Add oil, swirl to coat. Add asparagus; cook 3 min. or until crisp tender and browned, stirring frequently. Transfer to a serving platter. Add rind, juice, and salt, tossing to coat.


Buttery Red Potatoes with Parsley
1-2 lb baby red potatoes or small red potatoes, washed
3 T butter
1 T dried parsley

Boil potatoes until done, about 20 minutes. Drain and toss with butter and parsley until butter is melted and potatoes are well-coated with both butter and parsley.

No comments: