Thursday, August 5, 2010

Carb-Load

Atkins, schmatkins. I'm carb-loading in a big bad way this week, and it makes me happy. I love my carbs! (unfortunately I love them so much I tend to keep them around for a very long time as excess weight)



But this week I have an excuse to give in to my irrational carb cravings. My triathlon is Sunday, which means not only do I get to eat extra carbs, but I also get to taper my training sessions. Aaaah, the blessed taper week!



Sunday: Pioneer Woman's Beans and Cornbread

This is the first time I've included PW in my weekly menus. I got her cookbook from my awesome sister-in-law for Christmas, and I love reading her. Her recipes look really really good (too good...the woman loves her butter and bacon!) and she is hilarious and fun to read, but so far have not fit well into my trying-to-eat healthy menus.



Monday: Red Beans and Rice



Tuesday: Seafood Paella

I've been wanting to try Paella for a long time, but haven't been able to justify the cost of saffron nor been brave enough to try the recipe without it. Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought saffron, (Target, $10). My brother cooks up a mean Paella; I wonder if mine will pale in comparison?



Wednesday: Twice-Baked Spinach Potatoes, honeyed carrots

If you're not interested in keeping this meal vegetarian, feel free to serve the potatoes as a side to a nice grilled chicken breast or some grilled pork tenderloin; I'm serving them as the main dish.



Thursday: Zucchini Fusilli, garlic toast



Friday: Croque Monsieur, potato chips, coleslaw



Fancy name for a simple sandwich, a Croque Monsieur is just like a grilled ham and cheese crossed with savory french toast. Simple to make, filling, healthy...an easy family pleaser.

Saturday: final carb-load before the big day! Linguine with Spicy Shrimp, Garlic Bread, fresh salad

No comments: